PRIVACY AND COOKIES POLICY
Version number: 7.01
Effective date: 11th Oct 2018
1. Who are we?
1.1 We are Generator Guru Limited.For privacy queries, you can send us a message via our help centre at https://www.generatorguru.com/need-help/.
2. What’s the point of this policy?
2.1 It tells you what to expect when we collect your personal information via our website. Please only use our service if you are completely happy with this policy.
2.2 Generally, the policy covers only information provided to us. If you give personal information to other people, such as payment providers or other websites, please check their privacy policies.
3. Might the policy change?
3.1 Yes.Please check it whenever you visit our website. We will assume you agree to the new version of the policy if you use the site after its effective date. We may also notify you of any changes by email or in-service message.
4. What do we collect?
4.1 Information which you upload to our service or otherwise give us such as:
- your name and contact details;
- details about your transactions on our service;
- information included in any reviews which you provide for display on our service;
- contact or other information which you give or allow us to use for newsletters or other marketing; and
- Your communication with us.
4.2 Automated information about your use of our service such as: the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the internet, connection information such as browser type and version, information about your device including device-type and device identifier, operating system and platform, mobile network data, a unique reference number linked to the data you enter on our system, login details, the site from which you arrived at our service, details of your activity with date / time stamps including pages you visited and your searches / transactions.
4.3 The following information about you may be provided to us by other people:
- Limited billing information sent to us by our payment provider for verification purposes e.g., your name, email address and billing / delivery addresses.
5. What's our reason/legal basis for collecting the information?
5.1 Because it’s necessary to perform our contract with you and/or to take steps at your request to enter into such a contract, e.g., send service messages, process payments and fulfil orders. This applies to initial enquiries and to contact and transaction details.
5.2 Because it’s in our “legitimate interests”, e.g., to manage and improve our service including tracking usage patterns and preventing or detecting fraud or abuse. This applies to automated usage data as well as to reviews and similar information which you provide for public display on our service.
5.3 Because you’ve agreed. This applies to contact or other information which you give or allow us to use for newsletters or other marketing. You can withdraw permission at any time as explained on our service or by contacting us on our Help Centre on https://www.generatorguru.com/need-help/
6. How long do we keep personal information?
6.1 Until your account is closed or our contract with you has ended (or earlier if your account has been inactive for a certain amount of time provided we say so in our terms and conditions). You can close your account by contacting us via our help centre as explained at the start of this policy.
6.2 We may hold on to some of your information for longer (typically up to six years) if reasonably needed for legal, regulatory or tax reasons, deal with disputes, prevent fraud or abuse and/or enforce our terms and conditions.
6.3 We will keep your information which we use only for newsletters or other marketing until you tell us to stop sending you such messages.
7. To whom do we send or make available your personal information?
7.1 To other people who supply us with a service, e.g.delivery / warehouse companies, website hosts, payment providers, customer service providers and businesses which help us send communications or monitor our website and which provide us with e-commerce, online advertising, analytics, review management, live chat and other IT services.
7.2 To other users of our service, if you enter personal information into a review or other public action on our service. You can ask us to remove displayed information by contacting us via our help centre as explained at the start of this policy.
7.3 To credit reference agencies, regulators and the police and other law enforcement authorities to help deal with fraud and abuse and/or comply with legal requirements.
7.4 To insurers and professional advisers in connection with our insurance cover or to deal with legal claims.
7.5 To potential buyers so far as reasonably necessary, in the case of an actual or proposed (including negotiations for a) sale or merger or business combination involving all or the relevant part of our business.
8. Do we send your information outside the European Union?
8.2 Your personal information may be transferred to the US by the following companies certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework, which provides certain safeguards for your personal information: Google (analytics / advertising), Facebook (advertising), BigCommerce (ecommerce platform), ZenDesk (customer relationship management), Olark (chat), Stripe (payment) .
8.3 Your personal information may also be transferred outside the EU by the following, with whom we have entered into a contract which contains certain EU-adopted standard transfer clauses (see here) designed to provide adequate safeguards for your personal information: SpurIT (in-stock reminder email) , Rewind (system backup services), Zingtree (help centre)
9. What rights do you have?
9.1 If the legal requirements are met: To ask us for access to your personal information, to rectify it if there are mistakes, to delete or restrict its use in certain circumstances or to “data portability” or to withdraw any consent you’ve given (e.g. marketing).
9.2 You may also have the right to object to use of your personal information in certain circumstances.
9.3 If you have a complaint about how we are dealing with your personal information, please contact us via the help centre link https://www.generatorguru.com/need-help/ > After Sales Service > GDPR. If you are not happy with our response or think we are not handling your personal information in accordance with the law, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
9.4 For more information about your rights, visit the ICO’s website: www.ico.org.uk.
10. What about cookies?
10.2 We ourselves place the following types of cookies:
Type of cookies
Assess whether you are logged in to our site
Identify and authenticate you to help you move easily through the site
Store information about the preferences you’ve selected (eg favourites, currency, wishlists) and personalise the site
Remember contents of your cart and related preferences
Track whether you have visited us from websites affiliated with us so we can pay affiliates and assess the effectiveness of the affiliate links
Store your response to our cookie notice
10.3 Companies which provide us with a service also place cookies. Some of these cookies (e.g. from Google) may involve certain information, such as your IP address and web address of the page you’re visiting, being sent to the company concerned. Below is a summary of the kinds of cookies used together with details about who places them and where you can go to get more information and to opt out (where possible):
- Analytics cookies: These kinds of cookies recognise and count the number of website visitors as well as providing other information about the visit such as duration, route through the website and where the visitor came from. This information helps us to improve the way our website works, for example by making sure users find what they need easily. These cookies are provided by:
- Google Analytics (“GA”). More:
- general information about the types of cookies placed by Google including analytics
- a technical explanation of GA cookies
- Google’s use of its partners’ data including how to control information collected by Google
- how to specifically opt out from GA cookies
- Advertising cookies: These kinds of cookies are typically used to personalise ads on this or other sites based on your use of our site, to measure ad effectiveness (for example, how often you click on or view ads and whether you go on to buy something from the advertiser) and to stop you being shown the same ad repeatedly. These cookies are provided by:
- general information about the types of cookies placed by Google including advertising
- Google’s use of its partners’ data including how to control information collected by Google
- Facebook (including “Facebook Pixel”)
Note that there are various places where you can go to opt out of many companies’ advertising cookies in one go including some or all of the above:
- Social media cookies: These kinds of cookies are placed by social media companies when you use their features on another site, for example if you play embedded audio or video, click a Facebook “like” or sent a tweet. These features may involve the relevant companies using cookies to collect information relating to your visit to our website or your interaction with their services or otherwise. Click the following links for further information including how to opt out where this is possible: Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube
- Payment provider cookies: Our payment provider may place cookies if you use their payment services on our site:
- Third party log-in cookies: If you log in through a third party website, that website will place its own cookies on your computer:
- Abandoned cart cookies: These cookies enable us to email you if you abandon your shopping cart before completing checkout. The provider is BigCommerce who state: “All BigCommerce cart information is stored in the user's browser cookies, not on BigCommerce servers. The cart information remains on the browser for 7 days unless they clear their browser cache or complete checkout.”
- SSL certificate cookies: These cookies relate to our security SSL certificate: